The National Women Entrepreneur Council (NWEC) is a parastatal body which operates under the aegis of this Ministry of Gender Equality, Child Development and Family Welfare since 1999.
The mission of NWEC is to be a reference for promoting entrepreneurship inculcating the right business culture for women in Mauritius.
The NWEC acts as a driver and facilitator in empowering women entrepreneurs.
The main objectives of the Council are to:
• ensure effective communication between the Council and its members;
• identify actions and projects which will promote entrepreneurial activities of Women;
• evaluate and assess the needs of Women Entrepreneurs;
• establish Training Programs, aimed at improving the skills and management aptitudes of Women Entrepreneurs;
• develop working links and affiliation with other bodies, whether in Mauritius or abroad, having same objectives; and
• examine and evaluate the contribution of Women Entrepreneurs to the various sectors of development in the light of national needs and priorities.